Thursday, July 19, 2012

Why does she care?

Book: Alys, Always

Author: Harriet Lane

Published: Scribner 2012

Pages: 209


OH MY GOD this book was the most frustrating thing I've read in a really long time. Want to know why? Of course you do.

But reason does not come into this. That's exactly my problem. THERE IS NO REASON FOR ANY OF THIS BOOK TO HAPPEN BEYOND THE FIRST CHAPTER-Y SECTION THING.

Basic story: mousey book section writer comes across a car accident in which the wife of a famous author dies. After she gives statements to the police and etc, the family wants to meet her for closure. Okay. So far so good.

But then she starts hanging out with the daughter and eventually seducing the father AND WHY? She never says. Never, ever. Not one speck of "seeing all this wealthy wealth dazzled the bejesus out of me. I must have it!" No "this kid is so spoiled I should totally knock her down a peg and maybe steal some money/power." No "hot dad is hot and powerful and will help my career." That does happen and apparently she wanted it all along, but she's such a blank that there is literally no motivation for any of these events.

NOTHING. She is nothing and says nothing about wanting any of these things that apparently she does want and by the end she's just a wealthier version of a blank slate.

Why does she care? I DON'T KNOW. Then WHY THE HELL SHOULD I CARE? Because I don't. At all. The end.


No comments:

Post a Comment