Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Moar creepize, pleez


Book: The Hellbound Heart
Author: Clive Barker
Published: 1986 (HarperCollins)
Pages: 164

Goddammit, Clive Barker, give me more story! Gah!

He drew me right in with his rococo first chapter of summoning forces of unimaginable pleasure that, guess what, will cross the threshold to pain and back so many times the two will forever be fishhooked into the bodies of those that dare find it—

And then we spend the rest of the book watching a marriage deteriorate in a crumbly house and those are both the perfect settings for this, but I really wanted to actually go into the world of the Engineer and explore for, like, Stephen King lengths of time. There are tantalizing glimpses, thanks to a brother who wants to get the hell out of, well, hell and has found a way to try through the discontent of his brother’s wife, and some really cool body-soul-pleasure-pain-regeneration-deterioration exchanges that just piqued curiosity in me that wasn’t satisfied with the teases of another world that’s never explained more fully.

Should I watch any of the Pinhead movies to get a better picture?

This book will be going back to its Virginia bookshelf to rest in the kindly lent horror collection of some cool people up there. Thanks for the loan, guys! You are excellent guides past the Stephen King interstates into the horror roads much less traveled.

Also, LOOK AT THIS CREEPY-ASS BOOKCOVER I COULDN’T UNSEE THIS OR STASH IT ON MY BED WHILE I WAS SLEEPING ONCE I NOTICED. 


No comments:

Post a Comment