Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The magic of stories as told through stories

Book: Anansi Boys
Author: Neil Gaiman
Published: 2005 (HarperCollins)
Pages: 384

Y’all, Neil Gaiman’s words have officially put him in my “I will fangirl hug you despite your real-life choices” category. I love this book. I really like American Gods, but I love this book.
His everyman in this one is more interesting, which is to say more Britishly fumbling and way more attached to his way of life, all the better to contrast with his long-lost, cool-ass, so-charming-it-bends-reality brother who turns up after their dad’s death and starts wrecking havoc that forces everybody to fight for what they love while coming to terms with some really weird family heritage.

The reality and fantasy elements blend so well that it’s all believable and fantastic at the same time. I didn’t think about real life once while I was reading this, which means it never got so boring that my brain started wandering to what I was supposed to do at work in the morning or whatever,* and also that it created its own new reality around how stories create reality and how society uses them and I had no chance of not liking this, basically.

Bookshelf! I’m attempting to escalate the Gaiman game in my collection – Sunday I snagged Good Omens on bookstore volunteer credit, and soonishly eventually I will experience Sandman in some way of acquisition.





*Short PSA: my boyfriend and I broke up about a week and a half ago. What that means for this blog: my graphic novel reviews will get more erratic. Romance novels will continue to irritate me in the same ways as outlined in previous post. 
What that means personally: I sort of feel like Pinky asking “What are we going to do tonight, Brain?” and not getting an answer. If that sounds trivial, you haven’t met the person you want to take over the world with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment