Saturday, April 6, 2013

Let's get it--no. No, let's not.

Book: Getting In
Author: Karen Stabiner
Published: 2010 (Voice New York)

I'm sort of obsessed with stories about high school kids busting their asses to get into the Ivy League, because I never went through any of that. I wanted the state school, the state school wanted me, the end. My senior spring semester of high school was way more worrying about whether I could pass calculus tests.



Anyway, no insight here. It's all high school politics as usual; nobody goes any deeper into why they want to go to Harvard or Stanford. I don't think they even say, like, "Oh, it's got an excellent marine biology program, and I totally want to work with whales," or something. It's all revealed to be pomp and tradition among a bunch of bright, pretty kids whose parents will all find a way to pay for it and a college counselor who makes this way more a business transaction than one should ever do to a job working with teenagers.  

And, you know, really good academics, like in general. But come on, people! More than that, please!

AND NO, I DON'T MEAN TRANSCRIBING AN ENTIRE BLACK-EYED PEAS SONG AS SPONTANEOUSLY PERFORMED BY A RESTLESS HIGH SCHOOL CLASS AT THEIR GRADUATION. That is when I completely lost this thing.

Donating. If I can scrape the "Only $3.97!" sticker off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment